27 February 2010

Full size Aeronca Chief exchanged for a 1/8 DC-3 model and an old car




In early 1997 I met up with captain Jon Karl who had photos of a beautiful Aeronca Chief which he had bought in Florida USA and wanted me to own 1/4 of it in change for a R/C model of a DC-3 in the scale of 1/8 which I had build few years earlier. The Aeronca Chief was meant to have four owners. I was meant to find one part owner and Jon Karl would find another. So at this stage I owned half of the plane. Few months later I bought the whole plane and paid in exchange for an old car.

This was a good deal as I got to keep the motor and radio from the DC-3 which was handy as I had already started building a PBY Catalina model in the same scale. The DC-3 now hangs in the ceiling at Air Iceland (Reykjavík's domestic airport) as the DC-3 plane (TF-ISH) is one of the best known airplanes in Icelandic history and is still used for flying today.

No comments:

Post a Comment